Jun 15, 2012

Mealtime Fun With Vintage Recipes



I love cookbooks for their inspiration, and this one is full of ways to revive some retro recipes. Because the sixties was a fantastic time of social change, there is a wide enough range to suite all types of tastes. I enjoyed the many tips on creating themed parties typical of the sixties. I enjoyed a couple (okay: a few!) book-inspired web surfs:

retro cocktail napkins
¡Que Elegante!
linen monogrammed cocktail napkins
napkin holder, napkin box










The first chapter helps you set a sixties scene for a total retro dining experience by highlighting popular dining trends and accessories of the era.  One of my personal favorites are special occasion gleaming silver chafing dishesChip and dip sets became a must-have because of the birth of the dip-able ruffled chip.  Prompted by Hawaii becoming America's 50th state, the popularity of the movie South Pacific, Elvis's Blue Hawaii, Paradise Hawaiian Style, and Girls Girls Girls created an interest in an Americanized version of Polynesian culture and food. Tiki torchesbamboo servers, and pu pu platters have mainstreamed into the American culture, maintaining their appeal at the summer barbecue.

The recipes are an interesting mix given the exploratory nature of the decade.  There are lots of international flavors as well as elegant dinner party recipes, such as beef wellington.  The two recipes I have incorporated into my daily recipe stash are homemade tomato soup and the retro grilled cheeses. Homemade tomato soup is not only easy to make, but adaptable to flavor additions, such as Mexican spicy.   I also did not know that grilled cheeses were originally made with mayonnaise, not margarine or butter.  It spreads on the bread lighter and smoother, and gives the grilled cheese a nicer toast than  margarine.  The recipes are retro kitschy, with both menu and music selections to make for a fun retro party!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate the input: thanks! I only ask that you keep it fun, keep it friendly! You can check back here for responses, or subscribe to comments (and posts!) via email. Have a yippee skippee day! Primrose